A black and white photograph of The Dalles, Oregon, taken from a hill southeast of town ca. 1908. In the background to the north the Columbia River winds its way to the sea; beyond it rise up low mountains. There are a few buildings on the Washington side of the river; on the Oregon side a number of houses and other buildings can be seen amongst the scattered deciduous and conifer trees. The largest buildings are near the shore. The tower of the what is probably the Christian Church, which was built in 1893 at 9th and Court streets, is just visible near the center of the photograph. In the foreground are fields and meadows with fences. In the right foreground is a road. Near it a white horse grazes, while two men walk along it beyond a barn.
A black and white view of the toll bridge built across the Columbia River to link Hood River, Oregon, with the vicinity of Bingen, Washington. Built in the 1920s. This view is looking south towards Hood River and shows Mt. Hood, Hood River, and the Hood River Valley in the distance. Deciduous trees line both shores, and the hills in the background are fairly well forested, with conifers primarily in evidence. Buildings are visible in the middle ground on the low hills, especially to the right. A slight haze hangs over the valley in the distance but in the foreground the shadows of a sunny day are strong.
A black and white image of a view from above the Columbia River. There is a paved road with a fence along it in the foreground. A sign beyond the fence warns that "no parking on pavement is allowed". The road appears to be running along a cliff in this area. Below are conifers and deciduous trees. Along the shores of the river buildings are visible among the trees and meadows. In the background a steep, intermittently-wooded bluff rises. In the middle of the photograph is a low-lying area of land that may be an island. In the top right of the photograph the river changes course with a bend to the left.
A black and white image identified as a view of Maryhill, Washington, from Samuel Hill's property, showing two steamboats moored at the town. In the foreground are rock outcrops; the hill down which we gaze is covered with grasses and other plants. The meadow extends down the hill; on the flatter areas of the riverbank near the town is cropland to the right and an area forested with conifers to the left. A road winds its way through the picture, and some town buildings are visible. Beyond flows the Columbia River, and behind it the bluffs that rise up to the Columbia Plateau on the Oregon side of the river.
Black and white image of a sightseeing group standing on the railroad tracks running along the Columbia River. The group consists of men and women dressed in clothing from the 1920s. The women wear broad-brimmed hats, long-sleeved coats or javkets that come down to knee level, and long skirts that reach almost to the ground. The men wear a variety of hats, suit jackets, white shirts, and ties. Behind them the railroad tracks enter a tunnel. The tracks are at the base of a cliff on which brush and pine trees grow. On the left hand side of the image the river flows by. Cape Horn is visible in the distance.
A landscape photograph of a paved roadway probably crossing the Columbia River. The view is looking down the river, with mountains and tree-covered hillsides visible on both sides of the river. On the left side of the road is an arched cement barrier. It is a cloudy, dark day. Some flowers can be seen blooming at the far right edge of the picture along the roadway.
A black and white photograph of what has been identified as a wooden burial structure on the top of Memaloose Island in the Columbia River. At least 18 skulls and half a dozen long bones sit on top of the board roof of a wooden hut-like structure. Many of the skulls seem to be missing jawbones. The structure is surrounded by low, blooming vegetation. A few boards and a broken box or basket are scattered about it, and one board leans against it. In the background is seen the river, with bluffs and sparsely-wooded hills rising behind.
Black and white photograph of the Bridge of the Gods over the Columbia River. Fir trees are visible on the left bank and shrubs and grass are visible on the right bank. Some utility poles are visible on the right hand side of the image. Completed in 1926, the Bridge of the Gods is the third oldest bridge on the Columbia River. It plays a major role in the Pacific Crest Trail by linking Oregon and Washington states. Work began in 1920; it took six years to build. The bridge was privately owned until 1961, when it was purchased by the Port of Cascade Locks. The Pacific Crest Trail crosses the bridge, which is 1,858 feet long and 135 feet above the water. The name of the bridge comes from Indian legends. The man-made bridge was named after the natural bridge, probably a causeway or dam.
Black and white image of men in a boat taking fish from a fish trap on the Columbia River. The trap is constructed of tall wooden poles with nets strung in between them. There are four men in the boat, all wearing long-sleeved shirts, pants, and hats. A fish can be seen on the far right as it is being pulled into the boat. In the background can be seen other fish traps and the opposite bank of the river. Trees line the riverbank. Written on the bottom left of the image are the words "278 J.F.Ford."