Black and white photograph of the Bridge of the Gods over the Columbia River. Fir trees are visible on the left bank and shrubs and grass are visible on the right bank. Some utility poles are visible on the right hand side of the image. Completed in 1926, the Bridge of the Gods is the third oldest bridge on the Columbia River. It plays a major role in the Pacific Crest Trail by linking Oregon and Washington states. Work began in 1920; it took six years to build. The bridge was privately owned until 1961, when it was purchased by the Port of Cascade Locks. The Pacific Crest Trail crosses the bridge, which is 1,858 feet long and 135 feet above the water. The name of the bridge comes from Indian legends. The man-made bridge was named after the natural bridge, probably a causeway or dam.
A black and white image looking north across the Columbia River to the town of Vancouver, Washington. The river is in the foreground. At the far left a tall smokestack is seen behind some buildings. In the middle of the photo is a building with the large letters OWL (possibly standing for the Union Pacific Railroad's Oregon-Washington Limited) near the top. Various other buildings, some wooden, line the riverbank. Tall log pilings are driven in several places along the shore. Near the shore in the middle of the photo is a barge. Towards the left on the bank is a large flat piece of material tilted into the water, perhaps something to do with the building of a bridge across the Columbia. In the background to the right of the photo are trees and low hills.
A black and white image identified as a view of Maryhill, Washington, from Samuel Hill's property, showing two steamboats moored at the town. In the foreground are rock outcrops; the hill down which we gaze is covered with grasses and other plants. The meadow extends down the hill; on the flatter areas of the riverbank near the town is cropland to the right and an area forested with conifers to the left. A road winds its way through the picture, and some town buildings are visible. Beyond flows the Columbia River, and behind it the bluffs that rise up to the Columbia Plateau on the Oregon side of the river.
A train of the Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation Company steams through the midground of this black and white image, taken from the south side of the Columbia River. There is one locomotive and about 10 cars on the train. In the foreground is a pond, mostly encircled by trees except to the left, where ruts of a dirt road can be seen. The train travels on an embankment. Behind it can be seen the river, with low, sparsely-treed hills rising beyond. There are puffy clouds in the sky.
Old dock along Columbia River at Astoria, with mouth of river in distance. There are several buildings visible on the dock, with what appears to be smoke rising from a pipe on the roof of one of the buildings. The opposite shore can be faintly seen on the right hand side of the photograph. Utility poles can be seen on the left of and behind the buildings.
Tree roots are exposed on a sandy shore of the Columbia River. The trees closest to the river are dead or dying, possibly as the result of erosion. There is a light mist over the river. The other shoreline is very faintly visible through the mist.
Black and white image of men in a boat taking fish from a fish trap on the Columbia River. The trap is constructed of tall wooden poles with nets strung in between them. There are four men in the boat, all wearing long-sleeved shirts, pants, and hats. A fish can be seen on the far right as it is being pulled into the boat. In the background can be seen other fish traps and the opposite bank of the river. Trees line the riverbank. Written on the bottom left of the image are the words "278 J.F.Ford."
A black and white image of men with horses using nets to sein at the edge of the Columbia River. A small sailboat is in foreground and a steamboat is on far side of river. All of the men wear hats, some wear rubber aprons and high rubber boots. In the background can be seen the opposite shore of the river, with trees growing on the hillside and some cliffs.
A black and white image of a view across the Columbia River towards the construction of Vancouver-Portland Interstate Bridge (aka Columbia River Interstate Bridge) built 1915-1917. A building crane and a number of smokestacks emitting plumes of smoke are visible. There seems to be a water tower on the left of the photo. Tall pilings have been driven in places along the riverbank; some wooden buildings are visible. The verticle lift bridge designed by Waddell & Harrington has just begun to jut out over the water.