The photo was taken at the Boys Club camp at the Oregon State Fair. Front row (sitting) Wilmer Morse, Jackson; William Vogt, Marion; Wilmer Smith, Benton; Joshua Pierson, Hood River; Earl Carson, Umatilla; Darnell Evans, Wasco; Ernst Carson, Umatilla; Carl Shunltenbrund, Washington. Second row (kneeling) N. C. Maris; Leo Guillienne, Clatsop; Carl Stewart, Lane; Herbert Dungay, Douglas; Charles Thomas, Tillamook; John Toth, Polk; Henry Johnson, Malheur; Earl Bey, Clackamas; Harry Butelsen, Lane; Dean Sellum, Umatilla. Third row (standing) Earl Moyen, Wasco; Charles Smitz?, Union; Floyd Thornton, Union; Chester Jensen, Tillamook; Kenneth Bruns, Morrow; Lester Brutner, Douglas; Henry Wilder, Linn; Harold Reynolds, Polk; Floyd Wimenhuver, Linn. Back row: Roselle Cronk, Hood River; Max Hurlburtt, Clatsop; Garnet Barrett, Marion; G. Hobgord, Paul Jaeger, Clackamas; Ralph Baker, Yamhill.
The Oregon Institure, the first school looking toward higher education in Oregon, was formally opened for white children with Mrs. Chloe Clark Willson as teacher on August 16, 1844. It was located on the present campus of Willamette University in Salem. In 1842 it was an Indian mission school. In 1853 the Oregon Institute was designated by the Methodist Conference as the preparatory school of Willamette University.