From left: Walter Brown; Great Grandpa Meier; Great Grandma Meier; Clara Brown; Pais (on lap), Grace, Gladys and Grandma Raddas. Walter S. Brown was an Oregon State College faculty member from 1913-1942. Brown was the first Extension Horticulturalist and became the head of the Horticulture department in 1920. Brown was an expert on fruits and vegetables native to the Northwest.
Front row (L to R): Willibald Weniger; Thomas Mooney Gardner; Gordon V. Skelton; Grant Albert Covell; Henry M. Parks; and Mark Clyde Phillips. Back row (L to R): C.L. Knopf; Earl Vincent Hawley; Samuel Herman Graf; E.P. Jackson; William McCaully Porter; Herbert Edward Cooke; and Wilford W. Gardner
Helen Julia Cowgill was born 1 December 1881 in Springfield, Illinois. Cowgill came to Oregon in 1890 and graduated in 1913 from Oregon Agricultural College with a BS degree in Domestic Science and Art. After teaching Domestic Science and Art at Harney County (Oregon) High School at Burns for one year, she began her career at OAC in 1914 as Assistant State 4-H Club Leader with the Extension Service. In 1916, she earned a second BS degree in Home Economics from OAC. In charge of the girls' 4-H work, Cowgill wrote many of the 4-H Circulars used by girls in their 4-H Projects. She became known as the "Mother of Oregon 4-H." Cowgill took a year's leave of absence to complete her Masters Degree, which she received from the University of Washington in 1931. She was a member of Phi Kappa Chi and the Epsilon Sigma Phi, serving as treasurer of the latter organization in 1943. Cowgill retired from Oregon State College in 1947 and was awarded emeritus status. In 1954 Cowgill was selected as a "Woman of Achievement" by Theta Sigma Phi, and the 1957 4-H Summer School publication 4-H Absolutely was dedicated to her. Cowgill died in Corvallis on 15 May 1959. In 1965 a tree and bench on the university campus were dedicated to her memory.
William Evans Lawrence was born April 15, 1883 in Randolph County, Indiana. He earned a B.S. from Earlham College (Indiana) in 1904 and did graduate work at the University of Chicago. Prior to coming to Oregon Agricultural College in 1910 as a botany instructor, he taught at Michigan State College in 1906 and Oklahoma A&M from 1907-1909. Lawrence was an associate professor of plant ecology at the time of his death. He was a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and held membership in the Botanical and Ecological Societies of America, the American Association of University Professors, and the Sigma Xi honor society.
Nathan Fasten was born in Austria on December 4, 1887. He grew up in New York City, and graduated from the College of the City of New York in 1910 with a bachelor of science in chemical biology. Fasten studied at the University of Wisconsin as a graduate student from 1911 to 1914, earning a Ph.D. in 1914. Fasten came to Oregon Agricultural College in 1920 as an associate professor of zoology and physiology. The next year he was promoted to professor and department head; he served in that capacity until his resignation from Oregon State College in 1944. He later worked as Chief Scientist for the Washington State Water Pollution Commission in Seattle. Fasten authored many journal articles and books. He was a fellow in the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Fasten died in Seattle on September 19, 1953.
George Hyslop became the professor of Farm Crops in 1929 and served the department until 1943. Hyslop helped form the basis for fiber flax, hops, and grass seed industries in Oregon. The George R. Hyslop Memorial Funds was created in his memory.