View from southwest looking across the intersection of Main (2nd street) and Adams streets. The tower had two tanks, 30,000-gallon capacity each, filled from the Willamette River by the windmill and two steam pumps below the tower. Highest tank was 70 feet above ground. Buildings on street level: Left, implement shed attached to the brick store building J. C. Avery built in the 1850's. It was later occupied by Robnett's Hardware. Between the trees: Chinese laundry with drying sheds behind. Site was later occupied by Old World Center. Behind the telephone pole: blacksmith shop or carriage storage; it was used for both purposes. Right: behind picket fence was a private dwelling. Photo was from the Tom Warren collection.