The Dairy Building was designed by John Bennes and built in 1912-1913. Originally it included offices for Dairy Husbandry and the butter and cheese-making labs. It was used by what is now the College of Liberal Arts starting about 1951 and is currently named Gilkey Hall.
Dairy research has a long history at OSU; the university has had a fully functional dairy for more than 100 years. Milk from the herd has been used for dairy products research and to produce ice cream and cheese for sale. The barns in the photo were destroyed by fire in 1968, but were soon rebuilt. Current research centers on ruminant nutrition, reproduction, animal health and behavior, herd management, and crop/grass production. Artisanal cheese production is a research focus in food science and technology.