William Jasper Kerr was the sixth president of Oregon Agricultural College from 1907-1932. Kerr increased the size of the campus with 25 new buildings, including Memorial Union, Milam Hall, and the Women's Building. Kerr also established numerous colleges, including engineering, agriculture, and home economics. After 25 years as president, Kerr became Oregon's first chancellor of higher education.
The photo shows the Monroe Street (north) entrance to the Engineering Laboratory which was completed in 1920. It originally included a materials lab, a hydraulics lab, and a steam and gas engine lab, all served by a 5-ton electric crane. Building was designed by John Bennes.