Oregon State University's marching band, under the direction of James Douglass, makes its 1970 debut. They presented a variety of lively selections including "Can Can," "Football Hero," and "Born Free."
OSU’s Trysting Tree was a popular gathering spot on campus that dates back almost to the university’s origins as Oregon Agricultural College. The nickname evolved around 1900 when President Thomas Gatch admonished two students who were regularly meeting there for romantic purposes. The original gray poplar had to be removed in 1987 due to advanced disease, but prior to that cuttings from it had been used to establish a replacement tree which is located near present day Furman Hall.