This image shows the Hogg/Nash house (surrounded by trees) on the current site of Waldo Hall. At the far right is the Administration Building (present day Benton Hall), to the middle of center is the Gymnasium and Armory (present day Gladys Valley Gymnastics Center) and at the far left is Cauthorn Hall (present day Fairbanks Hall).
This image was used in the 1892-93 catalog and also in The Orange and Black, 1938. George Coote (1842-1908), a native of England, emigrated directly to Corvallis in 1877, where he established himself as a farmer. In 1888 Coote accepted a position within Oregon Agricultural College's Department of Horticulture - eventually becoming its chair - which he maintained until months before his death in November 1908. During his tenure, Coote was responsible for the college's grounds and greenhouses, and also published several Extension Service Bulletin articles on fruits, flowers, vegetables and nuts.