The School of Forestry established this tree nursery soon after the Forestry Building (Moreland Hall) was built in 1917. Many of the trees in the large grove south of Moreland Hall are remnants of this nursery.
The Army Specialized Training Program was implemented at twenty-two universities during World War II to help meet the increased demand for soldiers trained with technical skills. Physical conditioning was a required part of the ASTP curriculum.
Nancy Dewey was an alumna and a corporal in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps who served as a cook for a WAC detachment in New Guinea during World War II. She was later employed by the State Department and stationed in Iran, among other locations.
The chimes, located in Benton Hall, were a gift of the alumni association and could be heard twice daily. In 1957 Oregon State raised funds for a carillon, which was installed in the Memorial Union. For many years the carillon has chimed out the Fight Song and the Alma Mater at 5:00 p.m. each day. The carillon was automated in the 1990s with a digital sound system.
The December 1925 issue of the OAC Alumnus described this event as follows: "The push-ball contest, a novelty in the Northwest, was a riot of thrills and comedy. One minute the great ball was anchored to the ground, frescoed with rooks and sophs, the next minute it was in the air rolling on the finger tips of the mob, and scattering the spectators in quick stampedes. The push-ball contest will hereafter be an annual feature of Homecoming - one of the most spectacular stunts." In the background is the heating plant.