The pyramid play, used in blocking kicks, originated as a prank at an OAC football practice, according to Bill Tomsheck, a player on the 1933 football team. To the amazement of the pranksters, the play worked. It did not escape Coach Lon Stiner's attention and subsequently it developed into an authorized play. The play consisted of hoisting the 6'5" center, Clyde Devine, onto the shoulders of 6'2" tackles Harry Fields and Ade Schwammel, from which point he could reach out and knock down any ball headed for the goal posts. The first official use of the play was successfully executed against the University of Oregon in Multnomah Stadium (now Civic Stadium) in Portland. According to Tomsheck, "In that era of college football, a place kick was infrequent. We had no audible signal to call this defensive play. When an opponent went into a place kicking formation, eye contact or the nod of the head was all that was necessary." This photograph of the first official attempt was made by Oregon Journal photographer, Ralph Vincent. It was not until the film was developed that Vincent realized he had recorded history. The photograph was published in the Saturday Evening Post and the play became nationally renowned. For the remainder of the season, the OAC players reproduced it for the media in railroad stations, on the street, at hotels, and during practice sessions. The Pyramid was banned by the NCAA rules committee within a year.
View of campus buildings. From left to right: old dorm (1917 war); Poultry Building (formerly Horticulture); Brooder House; Cauthorn Hall (later Kidder, then Fairbanks); Farm crops (later became Agricultural Engineering); Peck Residence (Wilson moved from Bandstand area); Forestry Building.
Official door opening of the Memorial Union during Homecoming on November 17, 1928; Readers from the left are Tony Schille, 1922; Warren Daigh, 1919; President William J. Kerr and Cyril Brownell, President of the Alumni Association.
The Memorial Union site was dedicated in 1926. Ground was broken for the Memorial Union in June, 1927 and the building opened for use less than 18 months later on Homecoming, November 17, 1928. It was formally dedicated on June 1, 1929 "in memory of the heroic dead who gave their lives in their country's wars."
Home Game, Ralph O. Coleman served the longest tenure of any coach in Beaver baseball history--35 seasons from 1923-1966. His teams were 561-315 with 10 Northern Division titles and a berth in the 1952 College World Series. Coming to Oregon Agricultural College as a student from Canby High, Coleman pitched for OAC in 1918. His main interest was track and field, though, and Coleman lettered three years as a standout trackman for the Beavers before trying baseball his senior year.