Douglas W. Glennie was head of chemical research in the Forest Research Laboratory at Oregon State University from 1956 until his resignation in 1964, to accept a research position in the pulp industry. Glennie earned his BS (1949) and MA (1951) degrees from the University of British Columbia and his Ph.D. (1955) from the University of Washington. Glennie died in the state of Washington in 1971.
Robert W. Newburgh earned his BS in Chemistry from the University of Iowa in 1949 and his MS (1951) and Ph.D. (1953) degrees in Biochemistry at the University of Wisconsin. Newburgh joined the faculty of Oregon State College in 1953 as a research associate in the Chemistry Department. He became a Professor in 1961. Newburgh was appointed the acting chair of the Biochemistry and Biophysics Department in 1967 and was named chair in 1968; he served as Director of the Science Research Institute from 1971 to 1974. Newburgh was Dean of the Graduate School from 1976-1979. Newburgh officially retired from Oregon State in late 1981 and was awarded emeritus status. Newburgh's research was in the field of developmental and cell biology; he focused on the neural development of a variety of organisms. In 1995, he became the Executive Director of The Protein Society, a position he held until 2003.
Te May Ching was a professor of seed physiology in the OSU Crop Science Department from 1956 until her retirement in 1988. She earned her BS from Central University in China in 1944 and her MS and Ph.D. from Michigan State University in 1950 and 1954.
Dean F. A. Gilfillan and electron microscope. Gilfillan was a professor of Chemistry (1927-1939) and Dean of Science (1939-1962). Dean Gilfillan also filled in as acting President of Oregon State College from 1941-1942.
Novelist Bernard Malamud was an English professor at Oregon State College from 1949 to 1961. During this time he wrote three novels: The Natural (1952), The Assistant (1957), and A New Life (1961) as well as a collection of short stories, called The Magic Barrel (1959) for which he received the National Book Award. He was presented OSU's Distinguished Service Award in 1969.
Outstanding professors named by students (from left) W.H. Slabaugh, chemistry; H.D. Carlin, history; C.K.Smith, history; W.C. Foreman, English. Wendell Slabaugh was a Chemistry professor from 1953-1980. Slabaugh was known for his innovative teaching techniques, including audio-visual aids.
Theodore L. Mesang was Assistant Professor of Music and Director of Bands from 1949-1957. Mesang became Associate Professor in 1957, then professor in 1964. Mesang published over 250 compositions and directed the marching and concert bands.
Dean E. B. Lemon with Mayor McGregor in a parade on SW Madison Ave., Corvallis, Oregon. E.B. Lemon received a business degree from Oregon Agricultural College in 1911, becoming a part-time accounting instructor until 1943. Lemon also held the office of University Registrar from 1922-1943 and was Dean of Administration from 1943-1959.
Dean E. B. Lemon and Walter I. McDonell setting up capitol model donated to museum by McDonell, April 1951. E.B. Lemon received a business degree from Oregon Agricultural College in 1911, becoming a part-time accounting instructor until 1943. Lemon also held the office of University Registrar from 1922-1943 and was Dean of Administration from 1943-1959.
Photograph of Dean Lemon taken by Oregon State College News Bureau in May 1959. E.B. Lemon received a business degree from Oregon Agricultural College in 1911, becoming a part-time accounting instructor until 1943. Lemon also held the office of University Registrar from 1922-1943 and was Dean of Administration from 1943-1959.
Five naval hospital wards from Camp Adair were moved to campus and joined together with connecting passageways. The wards were separated into movable sections like the one shown here and moved to campus over a period of several weeks. They were "installed" north of Milam Hall and housed most of the university's administrative offices until 1971. As the 1970 Oregon Stater stated: "Only a couple of dozen of the University's 15,000 students can get in the business office and registrar's areas at one time and most of them have to sooner or later."
Dairy research has a long history at OSU; the university has had a fully functional dairy for more than 100 years. Milk from the herd has been used for dairy products research and to produce ice cream and cheese for sale. The barns in the photo were destroyed by fire in 1968, but were soon rebuilt. Current research centers on ruminant nutrition, reproduction, animal health and behavior, herd management, and crop/grass production. Artisanal cheese production is a research focus in food science and technology.