Both organizations were service honorary societies for sophomores – Talons for women and Thanes for men. The organizations were created in the 1930s (Talons in 1933 and Thanes in 1937) from previously established groups. Their original focus was to ensure that freshman students upheld OSC’s traditions. Over time, both organizations focused more on service, and in the late 1960s their constitutions were changed to reflect their service emphasis.
The Tech Record, the campus engineering magazine, was published four times each year. It contained articles by students in engineering as well as professional information. Editor for 1942 was Bill Filmore. Front row: John Hesse, Gilbert Quinby, Bob Lundeen, S. H. Graf, Ira G. Dillon, Bill Fillmore, Ed Lind. Second row: Bill Wilson, Edward Shields, Ralph McCugh, Rod Bland, Bob Clarke, Jack Lundeen. Third row: Eugene Ash, Paul D. Cjristenson, Gordon Green, Walter Hough, Boyd Handelin, William S. Milne. Photo was used in the 1942 Beaver Yearbook, page 136.
John V. Byrne came to Oregon State University as an Associate Professor of Marine Geology in 1961, becoming the Chairman of the Oceanography Department in 1968. Byrne was the OSU president from 1984-1995.