All four of these Corvallis young women attended Corvallis College as preparatory students between 1866 and 1868. Rose Russell married Lewis F. Wilson in 1869; their son, Eddy, graduated from the college in 1889 and was a longtime member of the board of regents.
Clara Humason Waldo (1858-1933) was the first woman to be named to the Board of Regents for a state institution of higher education, and also the first woman to address a graduating class at Oregon State. A member of the OAC Board of Regents from 1905-1919, Waldo Hall is named in her honor. She was the wife of Oregon Supreme Court Justice John B. Waldo.
Ida Kidder was University Librarian until her death in 1920. When walking became difficult she got around campus in a cart, named the "Wickermobile." Photo was used in the 1919 Beaver Yearbook, p. 227.
Eason broke the gender barrier to become the first female member of the cadet band. However, by 1935, the band returned to its male- only status. Co-eds formed their own band in 1937; this band merged with the cadet band in 1946. The basketball pep band did not allow women members until 1973.
Pictured at center left is Mrs. Howard Burleson, instructor of civilian pilot training. Oregon State offered civilian pilot training to men and women in the late 1930s and early 1940s. The training took place at the Albany airport.