Two women and two men on a porch; one of the men is Will Bloss, circa 1893. William Bloss was the son of John M. Bloss, the third President of Oregon Agricultural College. William was OAC's first football coach and quarterback.
Clara Waldo served on the State board of Regents in both Oregon and California. She became the first woman in America to be named on the board of Regents in a state instution of higher learning. In 1911 she worked as the Dean of Extension in Domestic Science at OAC with no compensation and received an honoary Doctorate of Science from OAC in 1923.
Alberta Johnston was a faculty member for the Extension Service from 1963-1990. Starting as a Home Management Specialist in 1963, Johnston eventually became the Deputy Director of the Extension Service in 1987. Her focus was home economics.
Jo Ann Leong was a faculty member in the Microbiology Department for over 25 years. In 1996, Leong became the Chairman of the Microbiology Department. Leong helped save Northwest steelhead trout and salmon through discovering a new viral genus and developing a DNA vaccine that would take advantage of a trout's natural resistance to diseases.
Clara Humason Waldo (1858-1933) was the first woman to be named to the Board of Regents for a state institution of higher education, and also the first woman to address a graduating class at Oregon State. A member of the OAC Board of Regents from 1905-1919, Waldo Hall is named in her honor. She was the wife of Oregon Supreme Court Justice John B. Waldo.
Nancy Dewey was an alumna and a corporal in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps who served as a cook for a WAC detachment in New Guinea during World War II. She was later employed by the State Department and stationed in Iran, among other locations.
The chimes, located in Benton Hall, were a gift of the alumni association and could be heard twice daily. In 1957 Oregon State raised funds for a carillon, which was installed in the Memorial Union. For many years the carillon has chimed out the Fight Song and the Alma Mater at 5:00 p.m. each day. The carillon was automated in the 1990s with a digital sound system.
The Practice House, first established at Withycombe House in 1916, was used for instruction in Home Economics. The curriculum included "Practice Housekeeping" and work with "Practice Babies" - local infants used to teach the basics of caring for a baby.
Known as the OSU Folk Club today, the College Folk Club was established in 1908 as a social and service club for OAC’s faculty wives and female faculty members. This image is likely set within the Women's Building.
Jefferts Schori is the Episcopal Church of the United States’ 26th Presiding Bishop. She received M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in oceanography from Oregon State in 1977 and 1983. After receiving a Master of Divinity degree in 1994, she became assistant rector of Corvallis’ Church of the Good Samaritan. Jefferts Schori later served as the Episcopal Church’s Bishop of Nevada before being elected as Presiding Bishop in 2006.
All four of these Corvallis young women attended Corvallis College as preparatory students between 1866 and 1868. Rose Russell married Lewis F. Wilson in 1869; their son, Eddy, graduated from the college in 1889 and was a longtime member of the board of regents.