Clara Humason Waldo (1858-1933) was the first woman to be named to the Board of Regents for a state institution of higher education, and also the first woman to address a graduating class at Oregon State. A member of the OAC Board of Regents from 1905-1919, Waldo Hall is named in her honor. She was the wife of Oregon Supreme Court Justice John B. Waldo.
Nancy Dewey was an alumna and a corporal in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps who served as a cook for a WAC detachment in New Guinea during World War II. She was later employed by the State Department and stationed in Iran, among other locations.
The chimes, located in Benton Hall, were a gift of the alumni association and could be heard twice daily. In 1957 Oregon State raised funds for a carillon, which was installed in the Memorial Union. For many years the carillon has chimed out the Fight Song and the Alma Mater at 5:00 p.m. each day. The carillon was automated in the 1990s with a digital sound system.
Jefferts Schori is the Episcopal Church of the United States’ 26th Presiding Bishop. She received M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in oceanography from Oregon State in 1977 and 1983. After receiving a Master of Divinity degree in 1994, she became assistant rector of Corvallis’ Church of the Good Samaritan. Jefferts Schori later served as the Episcopal Church’s Bishop of Nevada before being elected as Presiding Bishop in 2006.
All four of these Corvallis young women attended Corvallis College as preparatory students between 1866 and 1868. Rose Russell married Lewis F. Wilson in 1869; their son, Eddy, graduated from the college in 1889 and was a longtime member of the board of regents.