Clara Humason Waldo (1858-1933) was the first woman to be named to the Board of Regents for a state institution of higher education, and also the first woman to address a graduating class at Oregon State. A member of the OAC Board of Regents from 1905-1919, Waldo Hall is named in her honor. She was the wife of Oregon Supreme Court Justice John B. Waldo.
The Practice House, first established at Withycombe House in 1916, was used for instruction in Home Economics. The curriculum included "Practice Housekeeping" and work with "Practice Babies" - local infants used to teach the basics of caring for a baby.