James K. Weatherford graduated from Corvallis College in 1872. Admitted to the Oregon Bar in 1876, he was a prominent defense attorney who served on the OAC Board of Regents from 1886-1929, serving as the Board's president from 1901-1929. Weatherford Hall is named is his honor.
The Army Specialized Training Program was implemented at twenty-two universities during World War II to help meet the increased demand for soldiers trained with technical skills. Physical conditioning was a required part of the ASTP curriculum.
E. B. Lemon received a business degree from Oregon Agricultural College in 1911, becoming a part-time accounting instructor until 1943. Lemon also held the office of University Registrar from 1922-1943 and was Dean of Administration from 1943-1959.
Ground was broken for the Memorial Union in June, 1927 and the building opened for use less than 18 months later on Homecoming, November 17, 1928. It was formally dedicated on June 1, 1929 "in memory of the heroic dead who gave their lives in their country's wars." Weatherford Hall is seen in the background.