First commencement in Gill Coliseum in the spring of 1950. About 1,950 graduates received degrees in front of 10,000 relatives and friends. From 1914 until 1949, commencement ceremonies were held in the crowded Men's Gymnasium (Langton Hall).
Oregon State University's marching band, under the direction of James Douglass, makes its 1970 debut. They presented a variety of lively selections including "Can Can," "Football Hero," and "Born Free."
The A. J. Stone family of Amity, Oregon, provided about 100 blooms of the 6-foot high eremurus flowers (shown here at the front of the platform) for commencement from 1948 until 1991 when they were used for the last time.