Official door opening of the Memorial Union during Homecoming on November 17, 1928; Readers from the left are Tony Schille, 1922; Warren Daigh, 1919; President William J. Kerr and Cyril Brownell, President of the Alumni Association.
The Memorial Union site was dedicated in 1926. Ground was broken for the Memorial Union in June, 1927 and the building opened for use less than 18 months later on Homecoming, November 17, 1928. It was formally dedicated on June 1, 1929 "in memory of the heroic dead who gave their lives in their country's wars."
American flag on display in the Memorial Union. E. C. Allworth is pictured. Edward C. Allworth graduated in 1916 from Oregon Agricultural College with a degree in Commerce. Allworth was in the U.S. Army from 1917-1922 and received the Congressional Medal of Honor. Known as "The Major", Allworth served as manager of the Memorial Union Board of Governors for 38 years, 1925-1963.
Rally squad members. Standing: Sally Jo Mallicoat, Sophomore; Gregory Lee Hawkes, '65; Janette Delores Lummus, Sophomore; Robert Earl Varner, Sr.; Janet E. Hall, Jr.; Thomas Joseph Wilson '65; Myrnella Wick "Meffie" Meyer, Sophomore; Seated: Barbara Kay Crosby, Jr.