Journalism faculty member Fred Zwahlen is in the center of the photo. The first 30-Staters Club was founded in 1939. The intent of the clubs were "to support and further the interests of the O.S.C. Alumni Association" by "serv[ing] as a nucleus in any community around which to rally the services of the alumni whenever the occasion warrants." Membership in a given 30-Staters Club was originally restricted to no more than thirty male Oregon State alumni. One or more clubs could be established in any city, as interested warranted and pending approval from a governing executive committee.