James H. Jensen served as president of Oregon State University from 1961-1969. Within these eight years, Jensen expanded OSU faculty and facilities significantly and founded the 25 Year Club, which recognized employees who have worked at OSU for 25 years.
Frazier joined Oregon State’s Horticulture Department in 1949, coming from the University of Hawaii. At Oregon State, he worked on breeding new varieties of vegetables with his student and fellow faculty member Jim Baggett. They are known for the developing a bush variety of the Blue Lake green bean, which enabled farmers to mechanically harvest this popular variety. Frazier also developed the Willamette tomato, one of the first varieties developed for the Willamette Valley and still popular with home gardeners.
MacVicar at Larry Wade Ranch in Eastern Oregon. Photo was used in the Oregon Stater, September 1970, cover and Oregon Stater, March 1980, p. 6. Robert W. MacVicar was president of Oregon State University from 1970-1986. MacVicar was also a professor of chemistry and tripled the size of the university's budget. During his years as president, the size of the campus increased with 23 additional buildings.
This $10,000 award is given every five years to the person who has made the most significant contribution to U.S. agriculture. Kronstad (1932-2000) came to Oregon State in 1959 as a doctoral student and remained as an instructor after completing his Ph.D. in 1963. He ultimately lead the Wheat Breeding Project, which developed many new varieties of wheat.
Roderick Dashwood was a faculty member in the Linus Pauling Institute at OSU, heading the Institute's Cancer Chemoprotection Program. In 2015, he left OSU to become director of the Center for Epigenetics and Disease Prevention at Texas A&M University.
Lunch was well known for his political commentaries and analysis on Oregon Public Broadcasting, which began in 1988. He was often heard on OPB’s Oregon Considered radio program and the Seven Days television program. He was a faculty member in OSU’s Political Science Department from 1984 to 2011, and served as department chair his last eight years.
The lab was completed in 1990 with a grant from the Bonneville Power Administration, matched by funds from OSU. Its purpose is the study of infectious organisms of salmonids and other freshwaster fish species. The facility includes an area with stock tanks, an experimental area with more than 250 tanks of various sizes, an isolation/quarantine lab, and a multi-user lab space. Today it is known as the John L. Fryer Salmon Disease Laboratory; Dr. Fryer established OSU’s fish disease research program
Mark Sponenburgh, professor of art, receives the OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award from Doug McGregor, Alumni Association President, and David King, dean of College of Liberal Arts. Photo was used in the Oregon Stater, November 1981, vol.15 no.6 p.5.