Robert W. Newburgh earned his BS in Chemistry from the University of Iowa in 1949 and his MS (1951) and Ph.D. (1953) degrees in Biochemistry at the University of Wisconsin. Newburgh joined the faculty of Oregon State College in 1953 as a research associate in the Chemistry Department. He became a Professor in 1961. Newburgh was appointed the acting chair of the Biochemistry and Biophysics Department in 1967 and was named chair in 1968; he served as Director of the Science Research Institute from 1971 to 1974. Newburgh was Dean of the Graduate School from 1976-1979. Newburgh officially retired from Oregon State in late 1981 and was awarded emeritus status. Newburgh's research was in the field of developmental and cell biology; he focused on the neural development of a variety of organisms. In 1995, he became the Executive Director of The Protein Society, a position he held until 2003.
Te May Ching was a professor of seed physiology in the OSU Crop Science Department from 1956 until her retirement in 1988. She earned her BS from Central University in China in 1944 and her MS and Ph.D. from Michigan State University in 1950 and 1954.
Dean F. A. Gilfillan and electron microscope. Gilfillan was a professor of Chemistry (1927-1939) and Dean of Science (1939-1962). Dean Gilfillan also filled in as acting President of Oregon State College from 1941-1942.
Novelist Bernard Malamud was an English professor at Oregon State College from 1949 to 1961. During this time he wrote three novels: The Natural (1952), The Assistant (1957), and A New Life (1961) as well as a collection of short stories, called The Magic Barrel (1959) for which he received the National Book Award. He was presented OSU's Distinguished Service Award in 1969.
Outstanding professors named by students (from left) W.H. Slabaugh, chemistry; H.D. Carlin, history; C.K.Smith, history; W.C. Foreman, English. Wendell Slabaugh was a Chemistry professor from 1953-1980. Slabaugh was known for his innovative teaching techniques, including audio-visual aids.