Shepard Hall was constructed in 1908 and was funded entirely by students, alumni, faculty, and friends of Oregon Agricultural College. It was built by the Young Men's and Women's Christian Associations to provide facilities for student organizations. It was named for Clay Shepard, a 1904 OAC graduate, who first proposed such a building and raised most of the funds before he died in 1906. In 1940, the State Board of Higher Education purchased the building and renovated it for the Speech Department.
President Jensen and Dean Vera Brandon at left in photo. James H. Jensen served as President of Oregon State University from 1961-1969. Within these eight years, Jensen expanded OSU faculty and facilities significantly and founded the 25 Year Club, which recognized employees who have worked at OSU for 25 years.
Sackett Hall, was built as a women's dormitory, was finished in 1948. It was dedicated to Beatrice Walton Sackett, a member of the Oregon State Board of Higher Education and alumni, in the spring of 1950.
Photo shows Parker Stadium (under construction) in foreground; Gill Coliseum on the left; track and baseball fields and tennis courts in the upper left corner. This scan was taken from the photograph housed in the News and Communications Services Photograph Collection (P 057).