The implementation of the Specialized Army Training Program in 1918 necessitated additional housing for male students. This building was quickly constructed to the west of the Forestry Building (visible to the right) and later used as a dormitory for men named Poling Hall. The dorm rooms held from two to six men, and the basement area included a cafeteria. The dormitory was used until 1928, when a new Men’s Dormitory (now Weatherford Hall) was built on the location.
Composite cyanotype photograph of Oregon Agricultural College buildings. Buildings shown starting at the top left are: Mechanical Hall, Fairbanks Hall and The Greenhouses. View of campus with Benton Hall in background. Women's Center Building (Station Building), Alpha Hall, The Farm and Benton Hall in the center of photo
The building was constructed in 1859 and expanded in 1876. It served as the primary bulding for what is now Oregon State University until 1888, when the new Administration Building (Benton Hall) was completed on the west edge of the original college farm.