John B. Horner taught English and history at Oregon Agricultural College from 1891 until his death in 1933; founded the college museum; and wrote extensively on Oregon history and literature. He married Isabelle Skimpton on September 5, 1880.
John Finley Hinds, known as "Ol' John," ran a shoeshine parlor in the Memorial Union during the 1930s and 1940s. He received letters, pictures and samples of foreign money from Oregon State students, alumni and faculty from all around the world.
Ground was broken for the Memorial Union in June, 1927 and the building opened for use less than 18 months later on Homecoming, November 17, 1928. It was formally dedicated on June 1, 1929 "in memory of the heroic dead who gave their lives in their country's wars."