"Ol" John's picture gallery in the MU shoe shine shop. On the day that this photo was taken three alumni visited John Hines and looked at his bulletin board featuring pictures of men in service throughout the world, including fighter pilot, Marion Carl (just above John's finger) When John left OSC in 1946 he had accumulated more than 3000 images, most of which were given to the Alumni Association. Photo was used on cover of the Oregon Stater, March 1944.
Baseball team (about 1898), information from negative envelope: Allen '00, Heinkler '98, Sharp '98. In the 1938 Orange and Black, players are identified as: standing (l to r) WL Sharp, Jesse Tharp, Bill Patterson, Harold Belt, and Raymond Henkle. Seated (l to r) Henry Howells, Will Smith, Al Campbell, and Tom Allen. Published in Orange & Black 1938, p. 103.
Board of Regents shown from left to right: W. E. Yates, John D. Olwell, W. P. Keady, B. G. Leedy (Master of Grange), J. K. Weatherford, B. F. Irvine, F. I. Dunbar, John D. Daly, J. M. Church, Governor T.T. Greer, John T. Apperson.
Front row: Charlie Reynolds, quarterback; First row (left to right): Leroy McKenzie, center; Raymond Loosely; Robert Nelson; George Rieben; Clifford Dunn, center; Bird Hawley; Ed Wallace, tackle. Back row: Leroy Breithaupt, end; Oscar Enberg; Carl Wolfe, fullback; Walter Keck, fullback; Boyd Rasmussen, half; Henry Bergman, half; Cecil Clarke, end. Back row: Joe McAllister, assistant manager.
1933 "Iron men" Football Team practicing. From left to right: Joslin, Woody; Field, Harry; Schwammel, Tar; Wedin, Vernon; Devine, Clyde; McClury, Stanley; and Curtin, Vic. Stanley McClurg was on the 1933 squad but was not an Ironman. The other Ironman guard was William "Bill" H. Tomsheck. Information was supplied by "Scram" Graham, director of Alumni relations, emeritus, Class of 1936.
From left to right: Science Hall (present day Furman Hall), Cauthorn Hall (present day Fairbanks Hall), the Wilson House, the Paleontology Lab (present day Women's Center), Administration Building (present day Benton Hall), Alpha Hall, campus water tower, and Mechanical Hall (present day Kearney Hall)
The Lady of the Fountain was built in 1903 as a gift from the Class of 1902. It was located on lower campus approximately where Madison Avenue is today, just to the west of Ninth Street. Often stolen as a prank by University of Oregon students, the statue was demolished by students in 1923.