Pictured from left to right are B.W. Johnson, J. Fred Yates, Helen Holgate (accompanist), H.L. Holgate, and John Fulton. B.W. Johnson was a local orchardist. H.L. Holgate was a lawyer who worked as the district counsel for the Department of the Interior. Helen Holgate graduated from OAC in 1895 with a BS in domestic science and arts; she later worked in the college's Clerical Exchange. J. Fred Yates served a term as mayor of Corvallis and was also a City Attorney, Municipal Judge and member of the OSC Board of Regents. John Fulton was chair of the Chemistry department from 1907 to 1940.
Nettie Spencer was born near Corvallis in 1861 to Oregon pioneer parents. She graduated from Corvallis College in 1882, and spent the next several years teaching and studying at various places in the U.S. and abroad, including Portland, Davenport College (North Carolina), Berlin, Paris, London and India. She returned to Oregon in 1916 and taught at Eugene and Roseburg High Schools. Spencer received a masters degree in sociology from Oregon State in 1928. She was a charter member of the Mazamas, a Portland mountain climbing club, and in 1935 was elected president of the Oregon State Women's Press Club. Spencer died in Portland in 1953.
Harvey L. McAlister was known as "Pap Hayseed" during his student years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC). McAlister came from Lexington, Oregon (in Morrow County) to OAC in 1893. As a freshman, he played center on the first OAC football team. McAlister attended OAC from 1893 to 1897 and earned a BS in Agriculture. After service in the Spanish-American War, he returned to Lexington where he farmed until his retirement in 1947, when he moved to the Veterans Home in Napa, California. McAlister died in California in 1955.
Miller was a popular Oregon poet, newspaper writer and editor, and lecturer known as the “Poet of the Sierras.” He spoke at OAC in the winter of 1897-1898, and is shown in this photo sitting in the parlor of the Cauthorn Hall quarters of faculty member John Horner and his wife.
Composite cyanotype photograph of Oregon Agricultural College buildings. Buildings shown starting at the top left are: Mechanical Hall, Fairbanks Hall and The Greenhouses. View of campus with Benton Hall in background. Women's Center Building (Station Building), Alpha Hall, The Farm and Benton Hall in the center of photo
In addition to classroom and lab work, OAC students studying entomology in 1890 were required to do fieldwork during their third year. According to the 1890-91 college catalog, “each student will, under the instructor’s direction, learn how to work with insecticides, and will be required to carry on experiments to discover the best means of preventing insect ravages.”