Baseball team (about 1898), information from negative envelope: Allen '00, Heinkler '98, Sharp '98. In the 1938 Orange and Black, players are identified as: standing (l to r) WL Sharp, Jesse Tharp, Bill Patterson, Harold Belt, and Raymond Henkle. Seated (l to r) Henry Howells, Will Smith, Al Campbell, and Tom Allen. Published in Orange & Black 1938, p. 103.
Standing at far right is Professor George Coote. This image was used in the 1892-93 catalog and also in The Orange and Black, 1938. George Coote (1842-1908), a native of England, emigrated directly to Corvallis in 1877, where he established himself as a farmer. In 1888 Coote accepted a position within Oregon Agricultural College's Department of Horticulture - eventually becoming its chair - which he maintained until months before his death in November 1908. During his tenure, Coote was responsible for the college's grounds and greenhouses, and also published several Extension Service Bulletin articles on fruits, flowers, vegetables and nuts.
This building was constructed in 1892 to accommodate the offices of the Agricultural Experiment Station. The station's chemistry lab was in the basement. Since 1973 it has served as the Women's Center.
Baseball diamond, first athletic field, 1892-1893 (on the right) and lower campus view near what is now Jefferson Street. The Experiment Station gardens are on the left with the Court House, Central School, old Corvallis College are also left of the walkway.
The commandant (center) was likely Captain Charles E. Warren (Ret’d.), who served from January to July 1892. The cadet officers are in their gray uniforms. The college catalog for that year described the uniforms as follows: