Eddy Elbridge Wilson was born in Corvallis in 1869 and was a student at Oregon State when the school was still known as Corvallis College. He graduated in 1889. Later an attorney and bank executive, Wilson was heavily involved with numerous campus and community organizations, as well as the State Game Commission. He twice served on the OAC board of regents -- from 1906 to 1915 and from 1924 to 1929. Wilson died in 1961.
The building had been remodeled and expanded in 1876 in order to accommodate a year-round preparatory department and an additional faculty member. Much of the lumber for the addition was donated by a member of the board of trustees, R.W. Brock of Corvallis.
Identified from left to right are Ida Burnett, Elmer E. Charman, Miss Jessie Taylor, and T. Leonard Charles [?]. Ida Burnett, later Ida Callahan, served as principal of OAC’s preparatory department (1894-95), as dean of women (1906-07) and as an instructor of English from 1896 until her death in 1932. Callahan Hall is named for her.
Margaret Comstock Snell became the first professor of Household Economy and Hygiene in 1889. Snell was known as the "Apostle of fresh air", for her love of walks and open windows, and taught courses in sewing, cooking, entertaining, and conversation. Snell expanded the Home Economics department and retired in 1908.
The class of 1888 was the last to graduate from the old Corvallis College. Top row, left to right: Mary Newton (Slayton); Annie Lilly (Robbins), Gertrude Davis (Strange), Jessie Groves (Kittredge), Lilly Groves, Jennie Lilly (Mason). Front row: William W. Hall; James H. Collins; William Stock; Ira E. Allen.
Joseph Emery was a professor from 1867-1885 at Corvallis College. He taught mathematics, physics, geology, and physiology. He helped to raise the funds to purchase the original lands for the OSU campus. In 1885 Emery left Corvallis and became an agent for the U.S. Indian Agency at Klamath [Falls]. He died January 18, 1924 at Salinas, California.