"In 1862, Congress appropriated 90,000 acres of land for the support of an Agricultural College, with the condition that the college be in operation in 1867. Under this act a denominational school of the M. E. church (South), already existing at Corvallis, was charged with the management of the Agricultural College. By doing so, the land grant was secured, and the expense of erecting a new building was saved. In this simple old structure, the pioneer students of O.A.C. were introduced into the mysteries of scientific farming. In 1867, the institution boasted twenty-two students."--The Orange, 1909. The Corvallis College building was located near the Courthouse.