The Finleys' first home home in Corvallis (known as the "Nest in the West") stood on Van Buren and 5th Streets. The Finleys are standing on the upper porch, with their son, Ernest, and a niece. On the lower porch are Rev. Lowell, pastor of the Corvallis Church, and his wife, right; Mr. Osborne and daughter; and Rosa Jacobs. This photograph was published in the June 1930 "Oregon Stater", page 8.
From back left: Frank Cauthorn, Newton Addison Thompson, George P. Lent and Isaac Jacobs. Addie M. Allen and Minnie M. White are the women in the photo. Addie M. Allen married Newton Addison Thompson and Minnie M. White married O.A.C. Pres. B. L. Arnold.
Burkhart was a member of the Corvallis College Class of 1871 and was from Lebanon, Oregon. He was elected as the Alumni Association’s first vice president after its founding in early 1873. He also served on the college’s board of trustees in 1887 and 1888.
Sarah Finley was the daughter of a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Despite health concerns that precipitated the Finleys’ return to California in 1872, she lived to be 89 years old, passing away in 1937. Finley was a leader of the suffrage movement in Sonoma County, California. Thomas Houseworth & Co. was one of the leading photography studios in San Francisco in the 1870s and 1880s.
This view of what is now Second Street in Corvallis is one of the first images taken of its business district, and was taken around the time that Corvallis College received permanent designation as the state’s land grant institution. Corvallis’ 1870 population was estimated to be 1,200.
This image shows some of the preparatory and college level students enrolled at the time. The 1872-73 college catalog lists ninety-eight students at all levels, including twenty-six “agricultural students.”