"Ol" John's picture gallery in the MU shoe shine shop. On the day that this photo was taken three alumni visited John Hines and looked at his bulletin board featuring pictures of men in service throughout the world, including fighter pilot, Marion Carl (just above John's finger) When John left OSC in 1946 he had accumulated more than 3000 images, most of which were given to the Alumni Association. Photo was used on cover of the Oregon Stater, March 1944.
The commandant (center) was likely Captain Charles E. Warren (Ret’d.), who served from January to July 1892. The cadet officers are in their gray uniforms. The college catalog for that year described the uniforms as follows:
The Practice House, first established at Withycombe House in 1916, was used for instruction in Home Economics. The curriculum included "Practice Housekeeping" and work with "Practice Babies" - local infants used to teach the basics of caring for a baby.
Prior to the beginnings of varsity baseball in 1907, Oregon State played baseball on an occasional basis beginning as early as 1883. In 1899, the school began playing an indoor version of the game. In 1900, the indoor baseball team compiled a 3-1 record, which included wins over the University of Oregon, Albany College, and the Salem YMCA. Baseball players in photo are: A. J. Bier (lf), Harold Belt (rf), R. D. Burgess (c), Elwood Clark (2b), Arthur Derby (1b), J. G. Elgin (mgr), Ira Hamilton (lf), James Hartley (3b), Raymond Heinkler (nf Cayst), C. E. Small (p)
Photo shows Coach Ralph O. Coleman, Victor Demarz Brown, Jr., Frank Roelandt, William Clifford Frazer, Walter Charles Kirchner, DeWaine Palmer Galloway, Elmer Henry Weimer, Don Day Cecil, Raymond John Oberst, Robert Miller Ohling, Kenneth Johnson, Donald Leland Bower, Andrew Louis Frahler, Robert Claude Churchill, Bill Oral McCluskey.