The Lady of the Fountain was built in 1903 as a gift from the Class of 1902. It was located on lower campus approximately where Madison Avenue is today, just to the west of Ninth Street. Often stolen as a prank by University of Oregon students, the statue was demolished by students in 1923.
Apperson (1834-1917) was a steamboat captain, Clackamas County sherrif, and Oregon legislator who also served in the Oregon Cavalry during the Civil War. He also served on the OAC board of regents from 1888 to 1917.
Front row: Charlie Reynolds, quarterback; First row (left to right): Leroy McKenzie, center; Raymond Loosely; Robert Nelson; George Rieben; Clifford Dunn, center; Bird Hawley; Ed Wallace, tackle. Back row: Leroy Breithaupt, end; Oscar Enberg; Carl Wolfe, fullback; Walter Keck, fullback; Boyd Rasmussen, half; Henry Bergman, half; Cecil Clarke, end. Back row: Joe McAllister, assistant manager.