This image shows the Hogg/Nash house (surrounded by trees) on the current site of Waldo Hall. At the far right is the Administration Building (present day Benton Hall), to the middle of center is the Gymnasium and Armory (present day Gladys Valley Gymnastics Center) and at the far left is Cauthorn Hall (present day Fairbanks Hall).
From left to right: Science Hall (present day Furman Hall), Cauthorn Hall (present day Fairbanks Hall), the Wilson House, the Paleontology Lab (present day Women's Center), Administration Building (present day Benton Hall), Alpha Hall, campus water tower, and Mechanical Hall (present day Kearney Hall)
The Lady of the Fountain was built in 1903 as a gift from the Class of 1902. It was located on lower campus approximately where Madison Avenue is today, just to the west of Ninth Street. Often stolen as a prank by University of Oregon students, the statue was demolished by students in 1923.
Apperson (1834-1917) was a steamboat captain, Clackamas County sherrif, and Oregon legislator who also served in the Oregon Cavalry during the Civil War. He also served on the OAC board of regents from 1888 to 1917.
Front row: Charlie Reynolds, quarterback; First row (left to right): Leroy McKenzie, center; Raymond Loosely; Robert Nelson; George Rieben; Clifford Dunn, center; Bird Hawley; Ed Wallace, tackle. Back row: Leroy Breithaupt, end; Oscar Enberg; Carl Wolfe, fullback; Walter Keck, fullback; Boyd Rasmussen, half; Henry Bergman, half; Cecil Clarke, end. Back row: Joe McAllister, assistant manager.
For many years, freshman boys at Oregon State were required, per campus tradition, to wear "rook lids" - also known as "freshman beanies" - on certain days of the week. At the conclusion of the school year, freshmen students often burned their beanies at a ceremony called "The Burning of the Green."
Prior to the beginnings of varsity baseball in 1907, Oregon State played baseball on an occasional basis beginning as early as 1883. In 1899, the school began playing an indoor version of the game. In 1900, the indoor baseball team compiled a 3-1 record, which included wins over the University of Oregon, Albany College, and the Salem YMCA. Players included: Arthur Derby, Hamilton, Arthur Bier, Small, Ellwood Clark, Grant Elain, Raymond Henkle, Ruben Burgess, Harold Belt, and Jim Hartley.
1933 "Iron men" Football Team practicing. From left to right: Joslin, Woody; Field, Harry; Schwammel, Tar; Wedin, Vernon; Devine, Clyde; McClury, Stanley; and Curtin, Vic. Stanley McClurg was on the 1933 squad but was not an Ironman. The other Ironman guard was William "Bill" H. Tomsheck. Information was supplied by "Scram" Graham, director of Alumni relations, emeritus, Class of 1936.
Prominent in the foreground is the Bandstand. Visible from left to right are the Administration Building (present day Benton Hall), the Paleontology Lab (present day Women's Center) and Science Hall (present day Furman Hall). Downtown Corvallis is seen in the distance. Visible are the Benton County Courthouse, the central school and the Presbyterian Church.
Baseball team (about 1898), information from negative envelope: Allen '00, Heinkler '98, Sharp '98. In the 1938 Orange and Black, players are identified as: standing (l to r) WL Sharp, Jesse Tharp, Bill Patterson, Harold Belt, and Raymond Henkle. Seated (l to r) Henry Howells, Will Smith, Al Campbell, and Tom Allen. Published in Orange & Black 1938, p. 103.
William Jasper Kerr was the sixth president of Oregon Agricultural College from 1907-1932. Kerr increased the size of the campus with 25 new buildings, including Memorial Union, Milam Hall, and the Women's Building. Kerr also established numerous colleges, including engineering, agriculture, and home economics. After 25 years as president, Kerr became Oregon's first chancellor of higher education.
Front row (L to R): Willibald Weniger; Thomas Mooney Gardner; Gordon V. Skelton; Grant Albert Covell; Henry M. Parks; and Mark Clyde Phillips. Back row (L to R): C.L. Knopf; Earl Vincent Hawley; Samuel Herman Graf; E.P. Jackson; William McCaully Porter; Herbert Edward Cooke; and Wilford W. Gardner
This building was constructed in 1892 to accommodate the offices of the Agricultural Experiment Station. The station's chemistry lab was in the basement. Since 1973 it has served as the Women's Center.
Baseball diamond, first athletic field, 1892-1893 (on the right) and lower campus view near what is now Jefferson Street. The Experiment Station gardens are on the left with the Court House, Central School, old Corvallis College are also left of the walkway.
Board of Regents shown from left to right: W. E. Yates, John D. Olwell, W. P. Keady, B. G. Leedy (Master of Grange), J. K. Weatherford, B. F. Irvine, F. I. Dunbar, John D. Daly, J. M. Church, Governor T.T. Greer, John T. Apperson.