Mark Clyde Phillips, a lifelong resident of Corvallis, was born February 10, 1877. He entered Oregon Agricultural College in 1892 and studied mechanical engineering. He played on the 1894 and 1895 football teams. Phillips received a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering degree in 1896. The next year he was hired as an instructor of mechanical engineering at OAC, and taught until 1947. He also served as superintendent of the college heating plant from 1910-1947 and superintendent of the physical plant from 1937-1947. Phillips was a member of the Pi Tau Sigma and Tau Beta Pi engineering honor societies and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. He married Mary Alice Crawford in 1922; she died in 1961. Mark Clyde Phillips died in 1965.
Margaret Comstock Snell became the first Professor of Household Economy and Hygiene in 1889. Snell was known as the "Apostle of fresh air", for her love of walks and open windows, and taught courses in sewing, cooking, entertaining, and conversation. Snell expanded the Home Economics department and retired in 1908.
Reginald Heber Robinson was born in Michigan in 1886 and earned an A.B. degree from Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon in 1909. He completed an MS in Chemistry at the University of California in 1912 and did post-graduate work in chemistry at Columbia University in the summer of 1914. R. H. Robinson joined the Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station in 1911 as Assistant Chemist and served as a researcher with the Experiment Station until his retirement in 1951. According to an article in the November 2, 1951 issue of the Barometer campus newspaper, he was considered the nation's foremost authority on agricultural spray residue problems. He published extensively and produced more than 75 scientific publications and bulletins during his career.
Marian Rorapaugh was born in the Dakota territory on November 7, 1885. Marian Field was the head of the University of North Dakota Art Dept. from 1905 to 1909, and attended the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts in 1909. After the Fields moved to Eugene, Oregon, in 1910, she set up a china painting business. She attended the University of Oregon, earning a B.A. in fine arts in 1930, and did graduate work from 1931 to 1933. From 1929 to 1933 Field was also an assistant in the university's art and architecture library. Field retired from Oregon State as Professor Emeritus of Art in July 1951, and moved to Berkeley, California.