The aerial view shows the athletic fields with Coleman field in the center of the photo. The football field is in the lower left center and the track field is in the lower right center of the photo. Photo was taken June 24, 1984.
Coleman Field has been OSU's only home field since varsity baseball began in 1907. It is the longest continuously used field in the Pacific 10 Conference and one of the longest in the nation. The field was also used for football practice when Bell field (left) was the football team's stadium. Although the baseball diamond had been known as Coleman Field since the 1940s, it wasn't formally given that name by the University until 1981.
Jim Dixon played from 1924-26 and was an All-American and All-Coast left tackle selection as a senior. He served as an assistant coach at Oregon State from 1933-51. The Dixon Recreation Center on campus is named in his honor.
William Jasper Kerr was the sixth president of Oregon Agricultural College from 1907-1932. Kerr increased the size of the campus with 25 new buildings, including Memorial Union, Milam Hall, and the Women's Building. Kerr also established numerous colleges, including engineering, agriculture, and home economics. After 25 years as president, Kerr became Oregon's first chancellor of higher education.