Historical Images of Oregon State University

New transmitter building, 1941. Located on the college experimental farm at Granger (about seven miles north of campus), this new transmitter house and two new 325-foot radio towers (in rear) were required in order for KOAC to increase the station power from 1000 to 5000 watts. The Granger site provided sufficient room for a ground system of 66 miles of copper wire buried two feet deep. The KOAC transmitter is a familiar landmark on Hwy. 20 to commuters between Corvallis and Albany and is on the Benton County Register of Historic Resources.

Title
New transmitter building, 1941. Located on the college experimental farm at Granger (about seven miles north of campus), this new transmitter house and two new 325-foot radio towers (in rear) were required in order for KOAC to increase the station power from 1000 to 5000 watts. The Granger site provided sufficient room for a ground system of 66 miles of copper wire buried two feet deep. The KOAC transmitter is a familiar landmark on Hwy. 20 to commuters between Corvallis and Albany and is on the Benton County Register of Historic Resources.
LC Subject
Building construction KOAC (Radio station : Corvallis, Or.)
Date
1941
Identifier
p057_708
Local Collection Name
News and Communication Services Photograph Collection, 1962-1999 (P 057)
Format
image/tiff
Set
OSU Special Collections & Archives Research Center Historical Images of Oregon State University
Institution
Oregon State University
Created
2012-10-12
Modified
2012-10-12