This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2011), The Springfield Motors Buick Dealership was recently listed in the National Register as Springfield’s best and most well-preserved example of Streamline Moderne commercial architecture and for its association with the development of transportation during the post-World War II period. The dealership was the first new automobile franchise built in the city during the postwar era and was designed using pattern books published by Buick and General Motors during the late 1940s. Built by Gustave J. DeVos in 1949 using local materials and labor to help improve the economy in the area, the white stucco building is characterized by a curved corner with large glass windows with an original neon sign with the business name. The building was originally leased long-term to Clarence L. Scherer who managed the dealership, and it remains in the Scherer family today who continues operating it as a Buick dealership.