The mid-nineteenth century Gothic Revival house retains many original building elements, and is culturally significant as it was a home to Oregon's black pioneers, Hannah and Eliza Gorman., National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2015)
Designed by Elizabeth Lord and Edith Schryver, who founded the first woman-owned landscape architecture firm in the Pacific Northwest, the house and gardens are regionally important for the design and historical signifcance of the landscape architects and the house architect, Clarence Smith.
Built in 1937, it is improbably perched on a knobby promontory on the jagged south flank of Cape Foulweather, 453 feet above the Pacific Ocean. This secondary headland is commonly known as Otter Crest, a name also appropriated by Oregon Parks and Recreation Department for the adjacent State Scenic Viewpoint. The Look-Out was built and operated by Wilbur “Buck” and Anna Badley. The business began briefly as the Foulweather Coffee Shop, but soon shifted into a very successful gift shop when the Badleys realized people were most interested in purchasing souvenirs of their visit to the coast. Upon the completion of the Roosevelt Coast Military Highway (U.S. 101) in 1932 and associated bridges in 1936, tourists could more easily travel and visit sites along the Pacific Ocean. The Look-Out is an excellent example of an isolated entrepreneurial venture along the central coast that capitalized on the public investment based upon the urging and support of the citizens of Oregon. This building is also associated with the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Beach Patrol, which operated in Oregon from 1942 to 1944. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the coastline was considered vulnerable to attack and constant surveillance was vital to protect the U.S. from further attacks. The Look-Out was a strategic vantage point from which to watch for enemy invasion. Six men from the Coast Guard resided in The Look-Out to help defend the coast during this period of time. A place for visitors to enjoy spectacular views, watch for whales and other sea life, and purchase souvenirs of their travels to the central Oregon coast, The Look-Out is now an Oregon State Park facility that continues to provide unique experiences for those who travel to see the Pacific Ocean and all that it has to offer.
The DeGuire-Ludowitzki House, built about 1907, is a locally notable example of a modest Colonial Revival-style residence in the foursquare form. Foursquare homes are generally two stories tall with four relatively equally-sized rooms on each floor arranged around an entry and stair. Foursquare residences were a flexible house type and could exhibit a number of styles, including Colonial Revival, which drew inspiration from classical architecture. The DeGuire-Ludowitzki House exhibits the style though the symmetrical placement of windows and doors with decorative trim, round wood Doric columns supporting the wrap-around porch, corner boards, and wide fascia at the roofline. Charles Francis DeGuire, who was the son of one of Silverton’s established families, constructed the home. He later sold the residence to German immigrant and local builder John Ludowitzki and his wife Mary. The house remained in the Ludowitzki family after their death until 1938., National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2015)