Building Oregon

Leaburg Hydroelectric Project Historic District (Leaburg, Oregon)

Title
Leaburg Hydroelectric Project Historic District (Leaburg, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Leaburg Powerhouse Complex (Leaburg, Oregon) Leaburg Power Project (Leaburg, Oregon)
Creator
Lawrence, Ellis Fuller
Photographer
George Kramer
Creator Display
Ellis Fuller Lawrence (architect, 1879-1946) A. Guthrie & Company (builder/contractor) Stevens & Koon (builder/contractor) John Cyprian Stevens (engineer, 1876-1970) Raymond Emerson Koon (engineer, 1882-1963) Harry Camden Poole (artist, 1900-1943)
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2015). The Leaburg Hydroelectric Project was put into service in January 1930 and continues to generate electric power as part of the Eugene Water & Electric Board (EWEB), a municipally owned utility headquartered in Eugene, Oregon. It is located along approximately five miles of the McKenzie River in the vicinity of Leaburg, and consists of the dam and powerhouse; the reservoir, canal and tailrace; and Leaburg Village, built to house dam workers. The Leaburg Hydroelectric Project was primarily constructed between 1928 and 1930. It was completed as originally envisioned in June 1950. Designed by the Portland engineering firm of Stevens & Koon, the facility is significant for its engineering design, incorporating innovative technological features such as the Broome Self-Closing Sluice Gate and three 100'-long roller gates. The powerhouse was designed by Ellis F. Lawrence, the first dean of the University of Oregon School of Architecture and Allied Arts. The bas relief panels on the building were created by the nationally prominent sculptor Harry Camden Poole. The powerhouse is the finest example of Art Deco architecture used in an industrial setting in Oregon.
View
Exterior
Temporal
1930-1939 1950-1959
Style Period
Art Deco
Work Type
architecture (object genre) complexes (buildings) power plants waterworks dams (hydraulic structures) residential structures houses dwellings park (recreation area)
Location
Leaburg Power Plant >> Lane County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest
Street Address
42520 McKenzie Highway, Leaburg, Oregon 97489
Date
1930
View Date
2014
Identifier
OR_Leaburg_Leaburg_Hydro_HD_0014
Dc Rights Holder
Oregon. State Historic Preservation Office
Use Restrictions
This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.
License
Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Source
Oregon. State Historic Preservation Office
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/ Oregon Historic Sites Database, http://heritagedata.prd.state.or.us/