Building Oregon

Salem Pioneer Cemetery (Salem, Oregon)

Title
Salem Pioneer Cemetery (Salem, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Odd Fellows Rural Cemetery (Salem, Oregon)
Photographer
Potter, Elisabeth Walton, 1939-
Description
National Register (Listed, 2013)
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Work Type
built works complexes (buildings) cemeteries
Location
Salem >> Marion County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Marion County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
View Date
1900/2000
Identifier
OR_MarionCounty_SalemPioneerCemetery_0031
Rights
Educational Use Permitted
Rights Holder
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
Source
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
Type
Text
Format
application/pdf
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
The cemetery, established in 1854 by Chemeketa Lodge No. 1, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is among the very oldest fraternal society burial grounds in Oregon. Located on South Commercial Street, the historical alignment of the territorial road, the cemetery rises upslope toward the west, to a point overlooking the Willamette Valley to the east. By 1890 the cemetery had been enlarged to its current size of 17.05 acres, representing the city’s only example of a cemetery in the Rural Cemetery tradition. It is known as the final resting place of Samuel R. Thurston, Oregon’s first delegate to the Congress of the United States, and as the burial ground of many other significant figures in early Oregon government and the founding of the capital city’s educational, social and commercial institutions. The Salem Pioneer Cemetery Association, organized in 1949, changed the cemetery’s name before disbanding in 1954. Today the cemetery is under the on-going stewardship of the City of Salem and the Friends of Pioneer Cemetery. It remains an active burial ground for the descendants of original plot owners This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.