Building Oregon

Shedd Institute for the Arts (Eugene, Oregon)

Title
Shedd Institute for the Arts (Eugene, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
First Baptist Church (Eugene, Oregon) John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts (Eugene, Oregon) The Shedd (Eugene, Oregon)
Creator
White, F. Manson
Photographer
Ross, Marion Dean
Creator Display
Frederick Manson White (architect, 1863-1952)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
exterior: cornerstone, 1926
Provenance
Design Library, University of Oregon Libraries
Temporal
1920-1929
Style Period
Georgian Revival
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views ceremonial structures religious buildings churches (buildings) cultural centers (buildings) playhouses (buildings)
Latitude
44.05023
Longitude
-123.088272
Location
Eugene >> Lane County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Lane County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Street Address
868 High Street
Date
1926
View Date
1980-03-09
Identifier
pna_07688
Item Locator
mdr01706
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
License
Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Source
Gift of Wallace K. Huntington from the estate of Marion Dean Ross
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
The First Baptist Church became the headquarters of the John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts in 2001. The Shedd is the home of the Oregon Festival of American Music. Frederick Manson White (1863-1952) was an architect in Portland responsible for many distinctive commercial, religious, and educational buildings throughout Oregon. He reportedly was educated at Cornell University, MIT, and the Ecole des Beaux Arts. He was associated 1889-1892 with the architecture firm, McCaw & Martin. White’s works in Portland include the Hotel Imperial I (Plaza Hotel, Hotel Vintage Plaza), the Auditorium and Music Hall, the Flatiron Building, and the Central Presbyterian Church. Elsewhere in Oregon, works include Agate Hall, University of Oregon (Eugene), the Shedd Institute of the Arts (First Baptist Church, Eugene), the First Presbyterian Church (Medford), Woodrow Wilson Junior High School (Lincoln Condominiums, Eugene), and the City Hall, Seaside. White retired from practice in 1933.