Building Oregon

Oregon State Hospital Receiving Ward, Oregon State Hospital (Salem, Oregon)

Title
Oregon State Hospital Receiving Ward, Oregon State Hospital (Salem, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Oregon State Hospital (Salem, Oregon) Dome Building, Oregon State Hospital (Salem, Oregon) Building 36, Oregon State Hospital (Salem, Oregon) Oregon State Insane Asylum (Salem, Oregon)
Creator Display
Lazarus, Whitehouse & Fouilhoux (architecture firm, 1909-1910) Lazarus & Logan (architecture firm, 1911-1914) Edgar Marks Lazarus (architect, 1868-1939) Morris H. Whitehouse & Associates (architecture firm, 1926-1932) Jacques Andres Fouilhoux (architect, 1879-1945) Frank Logan (architect, 1888-1967)
Description
National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2008)
View
exterior: Dome Building, south facade, drawing, 1909
Provenance
Portland Architectural Club Yearbook, 1910
Temporal
1900-1909 1910-1919
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views health facility hospitals (buildings for health facility) asylums (welfare buildings) mental health facilities
Location
Salem >> Marion County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Marion County >> Oregon >> Pacific Northwest Oregon >> Pacific Northwest United States
Date
1909 1912 1918
View Date
1909
Identifier
pna_22518
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
License
Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Is Part Of
Oregon State Hospital Historic District (Salem, Oregon)
Institution
University of Oregon
Citation
National Register of Historic Places, http://www.nps.gov/nr/
Note
The plan of the Receiving Ward was conceived with a central domed structure to have north and south wings to be added later. The central structure, the Dome Building, was designed by Lawrence, Whitehouse, & Fouilhoux, and opened in 1909-1910. The south wing, designed by Lazarus & Logan, was completed by 1912. The north wing, designed by Lazarus, opened in 1918. Teague, Edward H. "Introducing Edgar Lazarus, The Architect of Vista House," Vista House Views, FOVH Newsletter, Spring 2011, p. 1-2, 7, 9, 10-11.