Hawley, Willard J., House (Portland, Oregon)

Title
Hawley, Willard J., House (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Willard J. Hawley House (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
Lawrence, Ellis Fuller Lawrence and Holford Holford, William Robertson, Hay Wallace
Creator Display
Ellis Fuller Lawrence (architect, 1879-1946) Lawrence & Holford (architecture firm, 1913-1928) William Gordon Holford (architect, 1878-1970) Robertson, Hay, Wallace (builder/contractor)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
exterior
Temporal
1920-1929
Style Period
Colonial Revival
Work Type
architecture (object genre) built works views (visual works) exterior views dwellings houses
Latitude
45.512918
Longitude
-122.697654
Location
Portland >> Washington County Multnomah County >> Oregon >> West >> United States Oregon >> West >> United States United States
Street Address
2033 Southwest Jackson Street
Date
1926
View Date
1926
Identifier
pna_19669
Rights
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
Source
Harmony in Diversity: The Architecture and Teaching of Ellis F. Lawrence. Eugene, Oregon: University of Oregon Historic Preservation Program, 1989.
Type
Image
Format
image/tiff
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
This house is significant for its association with Willard P . Hawley, Jr . son of the founder of the Hawley Pulp and Paper Mill located in Oregon City. Willard Hawley, Jr. took over management from his father in 1917 . He was als o vice-president and director of St . Helens Pulp and Paper Co . and the California Bag and Paper Co. The newsprint machine at Oregon City was, at the time, one of the largest and fastest on the Pacific Coast. Willard Hawley Jr . married Dorothy Metschan, daughter of Phil Metschan, another client of Lawrence's . Design work for this house began in February 1926. Construction began in June 1926. Contractors: Robertson, Hay, Wallace (General) ; Fred Shearer (Plaster) ; William Field (Tile work) ; Oregon Door Co . (Millwork) ; Abbott Tinning and Roofing (Sheet metal work). Source: Ellis Lawrence Building Survey.