The 99W Drive-In Theatre is a single-screen drive-in theater with spaces to accommodate 275 to 300 cars (note that an indoor theater with two screens is also located on the parcel). The theater is a distinct property type of the Modern era which, in this case, displays modest influences of the Googie style. The elements direct the user to and into the site, setting the tone for the outdoor movie experience. The other buildings and structures are more utilitarian, supporting the functions of the theater. The theater was built by J.T. (Ted) Francis and opened July 31, 1953. The sign, ticket booth, projection booth, and concession stand are all original to the theater grounds, which cover approximately 4.5 acres. The drive-in is presently on its third screen. Although the drive-in has remained at the same location since 1953, the boundaries of the city of Newberg have changed. In 1953 the eastern city limit of Newberg was at Villa Road, leaving the 99W Drive-In Theatre about three-quarters of a mile outside the city limits. Today the city limit has advanced a half-mile further east, past the drive-in (to where the Newberg Ford and the Providence Hospital are now located), putting the 99W well within the city limits. The entrance is still on Portland Road but originally the entrance drive was just past the east side of the marquee. The driveway entrance was moved to the west side of the marquee when a traffic light was installed at the Portland Road/Springbrook Road intersection in the 1960s. The drive-in exit remains on North Springbrook Road. There are six contributing resources on the site: the drive-in sign, parking area, screen, ticket booth, maintenance shop, and the projection booth/concessions building/Twin Cinemas. The buildings lie on the northeastern portion of the property while the screen is to the southwest. The primary parking area is between the screen and the buildings., National Register of Historic Places (Listed, 2015)
The DeGuire-Ludowitzki House, built about 1907, is a locally notable example of a modest Colonial Revival-style residence in the foursquare form. Foursquare homes are generally two stories tall with four relatively equally-sized rooms on each floor arranged around an entry and stair. Foursquare residences were a flexible house type and could exhibit a number of styles, including Colonial Revival, which drew inspiration from classical architecture. The DeGuire-Ludowitzki House exhibits the style though the symmetrical placement of windows and doors with decorative trim, round wood Doric columns supporting the wrap-around porch, corner boards, and wide fascia at the roofline. Charles Francis DeGuire, who was the son of one of Silverton’s established families, constructed the home. He later sold the residence to German immigrant and local builder John Ludowitzki and his wife Mary. The house remained in the Ludowitzki family after their death until 1938.