Thurman James Starker was a professor of Forestry from 1922-1942. Starker taught courses in forest management and silviculture and purchased land during the 1930's which would become Starker Forests. Starker helped Corvallis gain Avery Park and was made a member of the Oregon State Board of Forestry by Governor Mark Hatfield in 1962.
A. L. Strand sitting on left. August LeRoy Strand served as president of Oregon State University from 1942-1961. Strand helped create the Oregon State College Foundation in 1947 and introduced the idea of an OSU golf course.