Phi Kappa Phi, an all-discipline honorary society, established a chapter at Oregon Agricultural College in 1924. Initial inductees included President William Jasper Kerr and long-time Board of Regents member James K. Weatherford. The group is standing in front of the College Library (now Kidder Hall).
OSU's marching band accompanied the football team to Los Angeles for the 1965 Rose Bowl. One of the band's activities was marching in this parade in Disneyland. OSU band director Ted Mesand (front center) leads the band, along with OSU assistant band director Ken Winther (right) and University of Arizona band director Jack Lee (left).
Group photo of the recipients of the "Pursuit of Excellence" award given during the 75th Anniversary (1911-1986) of the OSU Extension Service. Winners were (standing l-r) Craig Riggert, Teresa Hogue, Gloria Shibley, Wanda Phipps, Evelyn Brookhyser, Erric Ross, Debra Driscoll, Nancy Kershaw, Greg Wheeler, Mary Dilworth Stewart, Larry Burt, Susan Roy Baumgartner; (sitting l-r) Dick Best, Becky Pettit, Linda Erickson, and Miriam Lowrie.
OSU's new Kerr Library was constructed in 1962 and 1963. One of the features of the building was a series of tile mosaic murals throughout the building. OSU art faculty member Nelson Sandgren created the murals. The mural in this photo was located on the third floor of the library. Parts of this mural remain on the third floor of the Valley Library.
A May Day pageant was one of OAC's traditions in the early 20th century. The queen and king of this May Day celebration were Marie Cathey and Charles Watts, seen in the center of the photograph. The pageants were typically held on the lawn to the southeast of the Administration Building (Benton Hall).
McKay was a 1917 graduate of Oregon State and served as its student body president. He served as governor of Oregon from 1949 to 1952, and also served as mayor of Salem (1933-35), state senator (1935-1949), and U.S. Secretary of the Interior (1953-1956). Colvig attended Oregon State in the early 1910s, and became well known as the voice of several Disney characters.
View from southwest looking across the intersection of Main (2nd street) and Adams streets. The tower had two tanks, 30,000-gallon capacity each, filled from the Willamette River by the windmill and two steam pumps below the tower. Highest tank was 70 feet above ground. Buildings on street level: Left, implement shed attached to the brick store building J. C. Avery built in the 1850's. It was later occupied by Robnett's Hardware. Between the trees: Chinese laundry with drying sheds behind. Site was later occupied by Old World Center. Behind the telephone pole: blacksmith shop or carriage storage; it was used for both purposes. Right: behind picket fence was a private dwelling. Photo was from the Tom Warren collection.