Ulysses Grant Dubach was a professor and chair of Government and Business Law at OAC, and also the college's first Dean of Men. Frank Evan Magruder was, in addition to Dubach, the second of two faculty members in what came to be known as Political Science at OAC. Magruder was the author of the textbook, "American Government: A Consideration of the Problems of Democracy," which was used in collegiate political science classes for several decades.
John Andrew Bexell was Dean of the School of Commerce from 1908 to 1931. He was replaced by Harrison Val Hoyt. Arthur Burton Cordley (far right) served as Dean of Agriculture from 1908 to 1931. He was succeeded by William A. Schoenfeld.
John Finley Hinds, known as "Ol' John," ran a shoeshine parlor in the Memorial Union during the 1930s and 1940s. He received letters, pictures and samples of foreign money from Oregon State students, alumni and faculty from all around the world.
This wave tank, constructed in 1972, was 342 feet long, and served as the genesis for the O.H. Hinsdale Wave Research Laboratory. Research being conducted at the time this photo was taken pertained to oil drilling in Alaska. Today the lab is one of the largest and most technically advanced centers for research and education in coastal engineering and nearshore science, especially tsunami and coastal hazard mitigation.
Alice Biddle was a member of OAC's first graduating class in 1870. She completed the college curriculum in three years, and graduated at the age of 16. The formal title of this 1983 bronze statue, created by artist Kirk St. Maur, is "The Quest."
The Administrative Council was established by the Board of Regents in 1908, soon after President Kerr assumed office. The council advised the president on administrative and policy issues. It consisted of the president, the academic deans, director of Extension and other top college administrators such as the registrar and deans of men and women. This may have been the last meeting of the Administrative Council prior to President Peavy’s retirement. This photo appeared in the 1940 yearbook