View from southwest looking across the intersection of Main (2nd street) and Adams streets. The tower had two tanks, 30,000-gallon capacity each, filled from the Willamette River by the windmill and two steam pumps below the tower. Highest tank was 70 feet above ground. Buildings on street level: Left, implement shed attached to the brick store building J. C. Avery built in the 1850's. It was later occupied by Robnett's Hardware. Between the trees: Chinese laundry with drying sheds behind. Site was later occupied by Old World Center. Behind the telephone pole: blacksmith shop or carriage storage; it was used for both purposes. Right: behind picket fence was a private dwelling. Photo was from the Tom Warren collection.
Gayle Feyrer's mural hangs in the background in a computer lab. The mural was commissioned for Olga's Ice Cream Store in Corvallis and was purchased by the Computer Science Department after the store closed. The mural still resides in the computer lab today. This photograph was used in the Computer Science Department's manual.